income tax

If you worked in the U.S. in 2017, you must file state and federal income tax forms by April 17, 2018.

Filing taxes can be complicated but help is available! Filing federal income tax forms is the personal responsibility of each international student and scholar. It is a part of maintaining your immigration status in the United States.

You must file tax forms if you earned any income (even a small amount) in the U.S. during the calendar year 2017 (January 2017 – December 2017).

Examples of income include:

  • wages for on-campus or off-campus employment
  • interest/dividends on U.S. investments
  • independent contractor income
  • scholarship income
  • free housing and other non-wage contributions.

Get Help Preparing Your Tax Forms

First Step: Find out if you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes by completing this worksheet.

Non-Resident for Tax Purposes – Get Help at the MSU College of Law Tax Clinic. Seminars are on Sundays through April 8, 2018. You must register online to attend.

Resident for Tax Purposes – Get Help from the MSU Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). Learn more about MSU VITA and schedule an appointment.

Get Help with General Tax Questions

Tax Walk-In Advising. If you have specific questions about taxes, Tax Walk-In Advisors at the International Center can help you, but they cannot fill out your tax forms for you. Tax Walk-In Advising Hours and Location.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s