- How does the redesigned I-20 look-like?
- What is the schedule for dropping off/mailing old I-20 to OISS?
3. If I am currently holding a redesigned I-20, do I still have to drop it off for further processing?
If the last signature on the 2nd page of your redesigned I-20 is less than 6 months old, then you have a valid travel signature. If the last signature on the redesigned I-20 is older than 6 months, and you are planning to travel, then you must request a travel signature from OISS.
- When can I pick up my redesigned I-20?
You can pick up your redesigned I-20 at least ONE week from the day you drop off your old I-20.
- I am currently on OPT / STEM OPT / CPT/commuter student, or I am a medical student who is away from campus. Do I still need to obtain a redesigned I-20?
Yes. All students who are currently holding a valid MSU I-20 must receive a redesigned I-20. Students who are away from campus, must mail their old I-20 during the designated times (see question 2) to OISS at the below address. OISS will create a redesigned I-20 and will email the student instructions to either pick up their redesigned I-20 or have it mailed to the student at the student’s expense.
Students who need their I-20 daily to commute to Canada, can email OISS during their designated times (see question 2) to request a redesigned I-20. OISS will create a redesigned I-20 and will email the student mailing instructions.
OISS Mailing Address:
Office for International Students and Scholars
427 N. Shaw Lane, Rm 105
East Lansing, MI 48824
- I am going to travel during the period that I am supposed to drop off my I-20 for processing. What should I do?
You will still be able to drop off your current (old) I-20 for a travel signature before you leave the U.S. for your travel – please let the front desk know that you are dropping your I-20 off for travel signature instead of redesigned I-20. Your current I-20 is still valid for travel and re-entry for the time being.
Although your current I-20 is still valid for travel and re-entry along with a valid travel signature, you will still need a redesigned I-20 for future use. You will be required to wait until February 22, 2016 to request a redesigned I-20.
Travel signature now takes one week to process instead of 1 business day so please plan ahead.
- Can I set up an appointment to drop off my I-20 for early or late processing due to my travel plan?
No, you cannot drop off your I-20 except during your designated drop off period. If you fail to drop off your I-20 during your designated drop off period, you will have to wait until after February 23, 2016 to request a redesigned I-20.
- Is the old I-20 still valid for travel, and can I still drop off my old I-20 for travel signature?
Students are eligible to use their old I-20 for travel as long as they have a travel signature that is less than 6 months old. Starting from October 19, 2015, travel signatures take ONE week to process.
If you are traveling outside of the U.S.in November or December, and the last signature on your I-20 is six months old, you must bring your I-20 to OISS at least 7 days before your trip. This allows you to have a valid signature on your old I-20 and travel as you wish. You must still request a redesigned I-20 at designated times to you.
- Can I use the old I-20 even after I receive the redesigned I-20?
No. Students who receive the redesigned I-20 must use the redesigned I-20. Students must keep all their old I-20s in a safe place.
10. Can I ask for an automatic travel signature when I pick up my redesigned I-20?
The advisor’s signature on second page can act as your first travel signature, which is also valid for 6 months.
- If I am graduating soon, or I’m leaving the U.S. soon, and will not return, do I need the redesigned I-20?
If you are present in U.S. during your scheduled time frame to drop off your old I-20, then you must request the redesigned I-20.
- What about my F-2 (dependent) do they need a redesigned I-20?
YES. Students who have dependents, must also request a redesigned I-20 for their F-2. Depending on the last name of the F-1, students are required to drop off both F-1 and F-2 I-20s for processing at the same time.
If you have any other questions, please contact OISS at http://oiss.isp.msu.edu/about/location.htm