Have you met with our new Director James Dorsett yet? It’s his second week of working at Michigan State University. James
previously worked at the International Students and Scholars at Iowa State University and he has worked within the international education field for over 20 years. OISS is very excited to have him join our office and Spartan family. To help our students, campus partners and community members get to know more about him, we interviewed James and collected 10 fun facts about James.
1. If you could only eat one kind of food for the rest of your life, what will it be?
Meat—probably chicken or pork.
2. What is your next travel destination without considering time and money restrictions?
I would like to go to Turkey, Iraq, Iran, and Egypt on an ancient history tour to see ancient Hittite, Assyrian, Babylonian, and Egyptian ruins.
3. What’s your favorite thing about MSU so far?
Meeting the students who work in OISS and finding out all the cool things they are doing or will do after they graduate.
(Editor’s note: By the way, OISS is hiring new interns! See details here.)
4. Do you speak a language other than English?
Dutch pretty well, and less so Russian.
5. What are your favorite show and movie?
My favorite show of the moment is a Korean drama called Blood. But probably my favorite TV show of all time Doctor Who.
6. If you can go back to anytime in the history, who do you want to meet and what will you tell that person?
I would meet Julius Caesar and try to persuade him not to go to the Senate on the Ides of March.
7. What’s your favorite ice-cream flavor?
8. What will you do if you win the lottery?
Travel, live abroad, and set up a nonprofit foundation to give money to help with international education and other charities.
9. What is the proudest moment in your life?
When I got married.
10. If you can only take 3 things with you to an isolated island, what will they be?
My piano, my notebook of favorite piano music, and my collection of Brian Jacques books.
Did you see any mutual interest between you and James or interesting topics you want to talk further with him? Come meet James at a special Coffee Hour this Friday March 27 from 4-6pm in McDonel Hall’s Lower Level Lounge. There will be coffee and tea plus special Spartan cookies to welcome James to MSU – hope to see you there!
Want to know more about James’ experience? See the article “OISS Welcomes New Director” from MSUToday.