I Lost My Passport – What Do I Do Now?

So you think you lost your passport?

This can be a very unnerving and scary situation; this is one of those things that just happens from time to time. I want to assure you that you are not the first person this has happened to, nor will you be the last.

Fear not, OISS has some great tips and information on helping make this process less unnerving.

As a note, I recommend that you make electronic copies of your passport, visa, and I-94 card (front and back) and store them somewhere safe; they might help you in the future.

What do I do now?

Make sure that you search your home thoroughly; your passport may just be misplaced. If you still cannot find it, then here are some steps you need to follow:

1.       File a police report immediately. Go to the local police station and report your document(s) lost or stolen.  If available, you will need to provide copies of the original documents.  The police will issue a police report detailing the incident. If you live on campus, then file your report with MSU Police. Make an extra copy of the report for your own records.

2.       Contact your country’s embassy or consulate in the U.S. for instructions on how to obtain a new passport and to notify them of your missing passport to guard against fraudulent use.

  • List of websites of Foreign embassies in the U.S : http://www.state.gov/s/cpr/rls/dpl/32122.htm
  • Links to consular offices are usually available on the embassy homepages.
  • If you do not have any other photo identification, please contact your country’s embassy/consulate to find out what alternate documents you may need.

3.       It is a good idea to contact the U.S. embassy or consulate that issued your visa to make sure that your visa is not used fraudulently. Remember, if you do find your passport, you may not be able to use the U.S. visa in that passport.

4.       When you next travel abroad, you must obtain a new U.S. visa for re-entry into the U.S.  For contact information on U.S. embassies and consulates, visit: http://usembassy.state.gov/. Carry a copy of the police record with you when traveling; you may need this for visa re-issuance.

New passport issuance can take time; however, your embassy or consulate may have a faster processing procedure, so ask them if there is a way to process your new passport quickly. This may involve you having to travel to the embassy or consulate.

Traveling while you wait for your passport can be risky, so my advice is that you hold travel plans until you have your new passport. If you need to complete an I-9 (employment verification form) for employment, then you will have to wait until you have your new passport to process the form.

OISS is always available to help, so please feel free to contact us!

See how easy I just made this crazy situation?

Hersh Sisodia serves as International Student Advisor at OISS and works primarily with F-1 students and SEVIS-related issues.

16 thoughts on “I Lost My Passport – What Do I Do Now?

  1. what if I reported the police through the phone that I’ve lost my passport and then the next day, I found it. Will it deactivate my passport or It’ll not deactivate until I told my Embassy in the United States?

    • Hi Elva, If you have found your passport, you should inform the police. The police does not inform the embassy, that is your responsibility. If you are concerned that there may be an issue, I urge you to contact the embassy for deactivation clarification.

  2. I lost my uzbekistan passport in usa, what should i do, i am a student (F1) can i get new passport in us, or i Have to go back to uzbekistan

  3. I have lost my passport and have submitted for the new one as well. I have also applied for EAD with my old passport and visa.
    I have 2 questions
    1. Do I need to go back to India immediately to get the visa stamped on it or should I wait until my next visit to India? (I am on F-1 status)
    2. Since I have lost my passport and I have submitted the docs for EAD (Employment authorization document) , will there be any problem in the future or in processing of it?
    Thanks in advance!!

  4. I lost my Indian Passport and USPS lost it while in transit from Newyork Canadian visa center to my address alexandria, VA.I am not a student.I am living on H4 status.
    We filed a complaint but my city police won’t issue a incident report for last foreign national passport. CKGS won’t process my application for new passport until I submit a police report,
    what should I do?

    Thanks in advance!!

  5. Hello, My name is Anas. I am an Indian. 3 years ago, my father had gone to work in Malaysia. Where he lost his Passport. Visas were made. Now, as there is an illegal occupant. Other documents do not have nothing in his hand. The documents in the country need to send E-mail. But what does it really need to do now? Contact with the police and possibly imprisoned. What is said in the profit and lose a lot of that in this case.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s