It’s that time of year: tax filing time. Did you earn income in the US during the calendar year 2011? If so, you are required to file income tax statements no later than April 15, 2012. You will soon receive (or may have already received) W-2 income statements from your employer to use during the tax filing process.

Filing taxes is not the same as paying taxes; you may even receive money back from the government when you file taxes. The tax forms simply describe your income and the tax you have already paid on that income. The goal is to determine if you have paid the correct amount of tax.

Do you have questions about taxes? OISS has tax advising walk-in hours every Wednesday from 1-3 p.m. and The MSU College of Law Tax Clinic is also holding seminars for International Students and Scholars to assist you in preparing your federal and Michigan income tax. See the complete seminar schedule here: SEMINARS

Should I come to walk-in hours or the Saturday Seminar?
If you need:
  • Tax return preparation
  • ITIN preparation
        Please attend a Saturday Seminar
  • An answer to a general question about taxes
  • Help identifying yourself as a resident or non-resident
  • Help with a notice you got from the IRS or Michigan
        Please attend the walk-in sessions

If you have questions that do not seem to fit into any of these categories, or if you would like to make an appointment, please call the MSU College of Law Tax Clinic at 517-336-8088, or email them at

For more information:

MSU College of Law Tax Clinic

OISS Tax Information